Re: revised recording proposal

On 11/29/2012 08:53 AM, Stefan Hakansson LK wrote:
> On 11/28/2012 08:28 PM, Mandyam, Giridhar wrote:
>> There is a difference between returning a blob at timeSlice intervals
>> until stopRecording is called, versus returning a File object only
>> once.  I don't want to get into a discussion on how different GC's
>> are treating blobs today, but to say that there is no performance
>> difference between the two is premature.
>
> That is an aspect I did not consider! I - naïvely - was only thinking
> about the API layer.
>
> If I understand you correctly, the issue is more related to returning
> several instances of (time-sliced) recorded data during an ongoing
> recording vs. only one set of data after the recording has ended than
> to the actual handling of Blob's vs. File's.
It's not unlikely that some implementations that return blob-at-a-time
will be considerably faster than some implementations that return
file-at-a-time (the variant where file-at-a-time writes/swaps to disk,
while blob-at-a-time stays within memory the whole time).

I don't think we're likely to see consistency in which way the advantage
goes.

There are some proposed applications (speech recognition, recording to
remote media on a limited-memory device) where file-at-a-time would be
thoroughly inapppropriate.