Re: How to check if permission denied?

On 27 November 2012 09:49, Stefan HÃ¥kansson LK
<stefan.lk.hakansson@ericsson.com> wrote:
>>getUserMedia provides an error callback.  There is, however, no error for "no device".  That needs to be fixed.
>
> On surface it seems that this definitely needs fixing. But the original reason for no specific error code was AFAIK to avoid finger printing

I considered that.  You could decide that all errors are reported the
same way to avoid this sort of problem.  You could also decide not to
provide a callback in case of any error.  That doesn't work out very
well from a user experience perspective.

I think that we have to resign ourselves to the fact that some
expansion of the browser fingerprinting surface is an inevitable
consequence of adding features.  Personally, I'm OK with this much
information leaking in light of the advantages this feature provides.
Others could reach a different conclusion.

On 27 November 2012 09:43, Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no> wrote:
> In Lyon I think we had a few words about this, and agreement that we would
> have more error codes (strings), but that we needed a specific proposal.

If we want to keep this separate, I propose that getUserMedia include
the following error values:
 - nodevice === no device exists that meets the mandatory constraints
specified (even if this is just audio: true, or video: true)
 - permissiondenied === the user rejected access to the requested device(s)
 - deviceerror === the selected and approved device could not be
acquired successfully

These should still be useful, regardless of what we choose with
respect to synchronous/asynchronous acquisition of sources.