Describing recording by means of the Media Source interface

From: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 13:16:49 +0200
To: "public-media-capture@w3.org" <public-media-capture@w3.org>
I'm scanning the Media Source interface, and seeing how it describes
data formats for the buffers it uses.

It seems to me logical to describe the recording interface in such a way
that:

If there exists a video stream v, a media source msrc and a media stream
ms, and (conceptually) msProducesData(buffer) is called every time data
is available at the recording interface,
then the following code:

// Setup
v.src = window.URL.createObjectURL(msrc);
buffer = msrc.addSourceBuffer(mimetype)
// So far unknown setup for the recorder interface

// playback
msProducesData(data) {
     buffer.append(data)
}

should produce the same display (possibly somewhat delayed due to
buffering) as

v.src = window.URL.createObjectURL(ms)

The media source definition is available here:

http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/html-media/raw-file/tip/media-source/media-source.html

It seems to me that if we can make sure this actually works, we'll have
achieved a little consistency across the media handling platform.

                       Harald