Definition for ma:compressions and ma:format

From: Joakim Söderberg <joakim.soderberg@ericsson.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 11:47:54 +0100
To: "public-media-annotation@w3.org" <public-media-annotation@w3.org>
CC: Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>, Torbjörn Einarsson <torbjorn.einarsson@ericsson.com>, David Singer <singer@apple.com>
Regarding the definition for ma:compressions and ma:format.

The response I got from my colleague, Torbjörn Einarsson, is that he agrees with LC comment (LC-2418, Robin Berjon), in that's unclear what to return for "ma:compression" as it is defined now.

"- even something as simple as JPEG can be coded in different ways. The file format was called "jfif", but as we know "jpeg" became de facto."

He suggest that the mime-type (which is well defined) should be in ma:format (as it is) but also include rfc4281 extensions (that describes what's in the file).
Then consequently ma:compression becomes somewhat obsolete, but it could be used in for the case there are no codec parameters, and then perhaps rename it to "ma:codecs".

/Joakim

substantial: It's unclear what to return for Compression. Is JPEG a compression? Something more specific? Is it case sensitive? Partially controlled?

substantial: Does ma:format include media type parameters?