Re: comments on OMR 1.0 mapping to IPTC Schemas

Hi Michael,

2010/4/16 Michael Steidl (IPTC) <mdirector@iptc.org>

>  Hi Felix
>

> The issue I raised is about “what are you mapping”. To my understanding
> from reading the specs it is a mapping between metadata properties  - which
> are grouped by what? By their namespace? Or by an “existing format”, and
> what is a format – a named specification?
>

> The IPTC as a standardisation organisation would prefer that properties are
> considered as intellectual property of their makers. Thus a mapping is
> established between the ma: properties and the Dublin Core properties and
> not XMP which is only using Dublin Core properties but not having specified
> them. Further the mapping between ma:title and dc:title should be applicable
> regardless of the format which is used to annotate the Dublin Core Title
> property.
>

> To add: I understand what you are aiming at with the API below, but this
> would work in exactly the same way if the mapping is named “to Dublic Core”
> and not “to XMP”. So what I’m pointing at is more a naming and IP issue and
> not a technical issue.

Understand. I tend to disagree that this is not a technical issue: if you do
not enlist the potential field names which may occur in a metadata file, the
API would need to check for everything before doing the mapping. So having
the information available "looking for ma:title in XMP files, only search
for dc:title" makes that easier.

Besides, again on the technical level, XMP defines value types like LangAlt
for dc:description, which are not available in Dublin Core itself. So having
a place to gather these types is very for the API.

Your IP concerns are very important, and I am thinking of how to implement
them while keeping such information . Would it help  if the table and column
3 would be renamed "Schemas used in XMP", and to add a statement to the
specification like this:

"XMP allows for using properties which are not from the XMP namespace, like
Dublin Core. The specification of mappings between these properties and the
Media Annotations Working Group vocabulary does not entail any intellectual
property relation between the maintainers of these properties, e.g. the
Dublin Core Metadata Initative, and XMP."

?

Best regards,

Felix