Re: AW: Properties for media fragment?

At 11:12  +0100 6/05/09, Pierre-Antoine Champin wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>Ok, let's drop the video-book comparison, which indeed is not perfect.
>
>My problem is not about time vs. interval, but rather about the non
>trivial propagation of properties on sub-intervals. More formally:
>
>let I and I' be 2 intervals, such that I' is included in I
>assume that property P has value V on I,
>what can we tell about property P on  I'?
>
>my answer would be: in the general case, nothing. I suspect it strongly
>depends on the semantics of property P, and may be what you need its
>value for. The example I have in mind is the "right to quote" (not sure
>about the translation): in France (probably elsewhere as well), you are
>allowed to quote a part of a protected work without requiring the
>author's consent if the part is short enough (roughly). So the copyright
>on I (or at least some of its implications) may not apply on I'.

true;  "Tom Hanks appears in this work" may be
true of l but not of some short subsets of l.
You have to be careful what the statements mean.

>This is just an example, it might not be perfect either, but this
>captures my doubts about asking questions like the one proposed by David.
>
>I would rather stick to asking questions about and identified resource R
>(whole or fragment), *but* having a mean to warn the user that several
>values may apply on several part (also identified resources) of R. This
>is the work of the user / the application to figure out which ones of
>these values are relevant to them.

that might work.  I'm glad we're not just punting
the question and saying "all annotations/etc. are
un-timed..."

--
David Singer
Multimedia Standards, Apple Inc.