Re: Review of 'Use Cases and Requirements for Ontology and API for Media Object 1.0', Working Draft 19 January 2009

> On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 3:56 PM, Felix Sasaki <fsasaki@w3.org> wrote:
>>
>> Pierre-Antoine Champin さんは書きました:

>>> That's a good one.
>>> I don't think we had mentionned that case yet :)

>>> I agree.
>>> Add to this that if a property is declared inverse-functional, i.e. an
>>> *identifying* property, inheriting it could raise some problem.
>>> E.g.: ISBN is identifying the Manifestation, not the Item.

>>> May be I wasn't clear enough: a normalised schema was indeed what I had
>>> in mind. My suggestion was only regarding (some level of) the API, so
>>> that developers do not need to understand all the subtleties of the
>>> ontology to use the API.
>>>
>>> Anyway, we will have to do this at some point, because legacy metadata
>>> have the bad habit of flattening those abstraction levels. So it might
>>> appear that all we have is a set of properties attached to the Item,
>>> some of them applying in fact to the Manifestation or Expression, but
>>> without any mean to know exactly which (think of dcterms:Contributor).
>>>

>> I think Yves made the point that FRBR does pose problems for videos, and
>> he
>> told me offline (I hope no secret) that the BCC is not using it, but
>> their
>> own abstraction scheme.
>
> which is really, really, similar to FRBR Items and Manifestations (a
> rdfs:subClassOf should happen, at some point).

I think I said it before, and the charter of this working group
http://www.w3.org/2008/01/media-annotations-wg.html
says it too: our goal is to develop a simple lingua franca for existing
formats. If we want to take FRBR as an input format into account, IMO
there has to be existing applications which output FRBR. Otherwise we will
end up in feature creep and a lot of "wouldn't it be nice?" discussions.

Felix

 The only tricky thing