Re: Review of 'Use Cases and Requirements for Ontology and API for Media Object 1.0', Working Draft 19 January 2009

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 3:56 PM, Felix Sasaki <fsasaki@w3.org> wrote:

> Pierre-Antoine Champin さんは書きました:
>>
>> Yves Raimond wrote :
>>

>>> Hello!

>>> Hmm. I never saw that done anywhere. I think one of the reason may be
>>> that the relationships between different abstraction layers can be
>>> something else than a strict hierarchy. For example, a Manifestation (a
>>> recording) can come from several Expressions (several performances),
>>> etc. So such an inheritance rule is actually quite hard to define.
>>>

>> That's a good one.
>> I don't think we had mentionned that case yet :)
>>

>>> Also, it tends to be quite unclean. Properties of a performance (date,
>>> place, performers, instruments, etc.) are not properties of an mp3 file.
>>>

>> I agree.
>> Add to this that if a property is declared inverse-functional, i.e. an
>> *identifying* property, inheriting it could raise some problem.
>> E.g.: ISBN is identifying the Manifestation, not the Item.
>>

>>> I think it is highly desirable to have a schema as normalised as
>>> possible in your backend, and maybe collapse it in the UI side if it
>>> does bring benefit to the end-user.
>>>

>> May be I wasn't clear enough: a normalised schema was indeed what I had
>> in mind. My suggestion was only regarding (some level of) the API, so
>> that developers do not need to understand all the subtleties of the
>> ontology to use the API.
>>
>> Anyway, we will have to do this at some point, because legacy metadata
>> have the bad habit of flattening those abstraction levels. So it might
>> appear that all we have is a set of properties attached to the Item,
>> some of them applying in fact to the Manifestation or Expression, but
>> without any mean to know exactly which (think of dcterms:Contributor).
>>

> I think Yves made the point that FRBR does pose problems for videos, and he
> told me offline (I hope no secret) that the BCC is not using it, but their
> own abstraction scheme.

which is really, really, similar to FRBR Items and Manifestations (a
rdfs:subClassOf should happen, at some point). The only tricky thing
in a *video* context is the work and the expression, IMHO.