RE: [mawg] reviewing ID3v2

I believe that we decided that the size should be avilable by using the samplingrate and duration!?

/Joakim

-----Original Message-----
From: Pierre-Antoine [mailto:pierre-antoine.champin@liris.cnrs.fr]
Sent: den 7 december 2009 10:26
To: Joakim Söderberg
Cc: public-media-annotation@w3.org
Subject: Re: [mawg] reviewing ID3v2

Le 06/12/2009 19:47, Joakim Söderberg a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> While reviewing ID3v2 I couldn't find "samplingrate" in the spec (to
> match: ma: samplingrate). However there is "TSIZ" that contain the
> size of the audio file in number of bytes, but we don't have an
> attribute for that.

Indeed, we don't. It was so obvious that it seems nobody noticed its absence ;-)

+1 to add this property.

> So how do we deal with this?

Re dealing with the absence of ma: property for the file size, I suggest adding it.

Re dealing with the absence of ID3 property for the samplingrate, well, let it be... This information is not present in that format, so we can not return it if the sole source of metadata is ID3.

> There is no way to get the size of an
> ID3 file! - Not directly or via the samplingrate and duration.

Since sampling rates can, in principle, be VBR, even this method can not always give a result. The goal of the API is to provie unified access to the *available* underlying metadata. Although implementors may choose to be smart and try to infer additional information from what is available, I think it is out of our scope to specify how this could be done.

  pa