RE: [Fwd: Re: [Mediann] Ad. "Return Type / String vs Uri" - Issue]

Dear Felix, all,

> two points: first, Jason is just one serialization - as is
> XML, RDF or anything else.
> [...]

Yes, in our case the serialization question is related to the API design. One question is whether we support more than one representation in the model and the other is how the API can be used to access this value.

> My second point is that this discussion is "top down", that is: we
> discuss whether we want a feature or not without looking into the
> behavior of existing implementations of metamodels for
> metadata (using the terminology from Chris here), and without looking into
> what existing formats do.

The formats typically specify the data model and a serialization, but there could still be several ways of implementing access to these properties. For example, MPEG-7 ControlledTermUseType allows to put a string in the content of an XML element and a URI into an attribute of the element. Using XML-related ways to access the data (e.g. XPath, DOM) one would either access the content or the attribute of that element. However, an OO API might define an object that contains the string and the URI as return type, or two methods getXXXAsString and getXXXAsURI. In my opinion this is really a design decision for the API and not really related to the underlying data model.

> For mappinges: The page
> http://www.w3.org/2008/WebVideo/Annotations/wiki/Format_mapping
> is still empty. One approach to continue this discussion
> which I propose
> is to do it "bottom up" by filling the page and describe what
> existing
> formats do about types of properties.

In that case we would also need to collect the different datatypes supported for a property in the different formats. However, I expect that in those cases where there are different types it will often be string and URI or string and some numeric type. It will be helpful for defining and implementing the mappings, but I'm not sure that it will help us in the return type question for the API.

Best regards,
Werner