Re: Agenda

On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 12:18 PM, Wayne Dick <wayneedick@gmail.com> wrote:

> ​
> I think Alastair's Adaptive should be first on the agenda.

​it is​

> 1.      Adaptation that works under the author-controlled
> styling/scripting in a default browser, such as Resize content.
> 2.      Adapta
> ​​
> tion that subtly over-rides author styles, such as text-color.
> 3.      Adaptation that will likely break layouts, such as linearisation,
> spacing, font-family. Also several from COGA that I’ve seen, such as adding
> icons to the text.
> ​4​
> .      Personalisation where the website provides options for the user,
> or in some way works with the user’s settings.
>
> ​We need to look at Text-Color, Resize Content, Linearize, Spacing, and
> Font Family. The discussion has unveiled some confusion in how our
> proposals are going to be interpreted.
>
> How do we make it clear that a mechanism exists does not mean that the
> author needs to program​ an accommodation?
>

> ​there is confusion about "mechanism". We don't want authors writing an
interface for all the adaptations. What do we want/need authors to do?

To date, I have heard "don't use !important on element level styling."

What else to we need authors to do to not hinder LV adaptations?​

​The resistance/push-back comes from these seem to be user agent issues. ​

How do we address the claim that if we cannot come up with an HTMLi failure
> then we don't need an SC.
>
> For me, element level adaptation seems more like a necessity.

​It is a necessity. WCAG are authoring guidelines.
What can *authors* do to facilitate element level adaptation? ​

> Finally, for many on WCAG WG there is a serious hostility to requesting
> visual adaptations. It is like they look for any excuse to deny them.
>
> Can we discuss this, and come up with consistent language?

​Its on the agenda​

--
Jim Allan, Accessibility Coordinator
1100 W. 45th St., Austin, Texas 78756