RE: Should we drop the color bullet for now?

Hmmm, then how do we make the markup mandatory in WCAG 2.1?  I'd love to just outlaw off-screen text altogether as an LV-unfriendly practice.  I use a screen reader to navigate, but I have enough vision to follow my custom focus highlighter around, and it does crazy things depending on how an author puts content off screen.  Yes, the practice is ubiquitous and widely taught as good accessibility, but ARIA should be trying to eliminate it.

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: Jonathan Avila [mailto:jon.avila@ssbbartgroup.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 1:05 PM
To: public-low-vision-a11y-tf <public-low-vision-a11y-tf@w3.org>
Subject: RE: Should we drop the color bullet for now?

> , if I made inactive tabs black on white and the active one white on

> black with proper markup,

Using markup to indicate semantics isn't required for WCAG 2 -- SC 1.3.1 and 4.1.2 can be met by using off-screen CSS text to indicate which tab is selected.  That means a user who might want to use high contrast mode would also need to try and figure out what CSS selector the page author used to create off-screen CSS text and display it.  If semantic markup was indeed required it would be easier to write a user style sheet that could overcomes these -- but it's not mandated and often isn't used.

Often I see developers turn off CSS outline and use a change in background color to indicate the focused state.  If you turn colors off you lose this information.  You could then turn outline back on in a user style sheet.  Really we are asking users with low vision to do a lot to create a readable experience -- more than we ask other users to do.  This is complicated by the fact that user stylesheet support is going away in many browsers and extension based styles are not at the user level.  So I hesitate to just say users can customize their stylesheet and it will solve the issue.

Jonathan

Jonathan Avila

Chief Accessibility Officer

SSB BART Group

jon.avila@ssbbartgroup.com<mailto:jon.avila@ssbbartgroup.com>

703.637.8957 (Office)

Visit us online: Website | Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn | Blog Download our CSUN Presentations Here!

The information contained in this transmission may be attorney privileged and/or confidential information intended for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.