Re: Combining the sizing SCs

Dear Alastair,
Spacial arrangements that prevents sufficient enlargement are inaccessible.
This is one of the big accessibility problems faced by people with low
visual acuity. The same is true of content that cannot appear in one column
(data tables excepted) and lines that exceed the viewport width.

Authors can write rich content that meets these constraints. I use a 24
inch and 30 inch monitors. My cell phone is 6 inches. For many sites the
same code runs on both. That is a 1/400% to 1/500% contraction. This is
done by conversion to 1 column. The concept of imposing bi-directional
scrolling on normal readers is not considered as an option. Developers just
do what needs to be done to catch the mobile market. They don't use any
special UA  features. They do it all with HTML, CSS and JavaScript.

Why is 500% such a big deal? The mathematical equivalent is done every day
by authors writing content for mobile? We have a  print disability that can
be ended today with contemporary content authoring practices. I just cannot
see why we don't push for real accessibility, at least in the low vision
task force.

I do not think percent is the metric to use. I think EM or REM per line is
the measure. On any device there should be a usable interface with line
length, 15 EM or REM that fills lines. This gives 15 to 20 characters per
line.  That is a testable metric.

Wayne