Re: Graphics contrast

From: Alastair Campbell <acampbell@nomensa.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2016 17:44:07 +0000
To: Erich Manser <emanser@us.ibm.com>
CC: LVTF - low-vision-a11y <public-low-vision-a11y-tf@w3.org>
Thanks Erich, that’s really useful.

Regarding a couple of them (the disagreements obviously!):

“6. Would say FAIL - I would need the mouse-over aspects to supplement perception, if we're ignoring mouse-over, color distinctions are difficult”

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/

Were the state labels (WA, OR etc.) not enough to understand it?

I.e. Do the state lines need to be contrasting?

“13. Would say FAIL - unable to locate the labels A, B and C (are they in the graphic itself?)”

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/spaceimages/details.php?id=PIA20746

The labels are terrible, I’m not surprised the red text on green background isn’t visible!

However, I thought that the graph itself was understandable without the labels, could you see where the bright green parts were on the time-scale of the X axis? (Showing them clustered around the summer months.)

Thinking about it, that one would fail for text on a background anyway, I’ll update it.

“Also, did we do away with using the COGA definition of "Important Information", or modified?”

I’ve left it as-is for the moment, I think it covers what we need. I re-quoted it at the top of the page, and it is still on the wiki page.

Cheers,

-Alastair