Re: 2nd draft of color perception section

Hi Shawn,

My pleasure. Thank you VERY much for the input.

I agree that we need to address the term "color blindness" as it is a
common lay term. However, it is frequently misleading as it seldom
means a person sees in grey scale. It is really a misnomer.
[1][2][3][4][5][6][7][8]. We should mention that somewhere.

The second and third examples are not the same image but the results
are VERY similar. Protanopia and deuteranopia are similar in that red
and green are confused. We could try using different set of images
where the difference is slightly more pronounced. At one point I had
thought of using maps.
http://www.d.umn.edu/~lcarlson/wcagwg/color/perception/map

How don't the types don't align with the National Eye Institute?

Kindest Regards,
Laura

[1]"Something of a misnomer, the term 'color blindness' refers to an
inherited condition affecting certain individuals whose perception of
color varies significantly from the majority.
- Curtis E. Martin, John G. Keller, Steven K. Rogers, and
Matthew Kabrisky
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?tp=&arnumber=852442

[2]"The term 'color blind' is a misnomer..." - H.C. Thuline, M.D.
http://cpj.sagepub.com/content/11/5/295.short

[3]"'Color blindness' is a misnomer as only a small percentage of
people are unable to see any color." - Amit V Naik and
Ranjana C Pai
http://www.aedj.in/2.3.25-28

[4]"The word 'color-blind' is a misnomer. The most severely color-
blind person can see color, but not the same as a person with normal
color perception."  - Ruby C. Beacham R.N.† andMargaret C. Hisle R.N.,
M.Ed.†
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1746-1561.1965.tb01595.x/abstract;jsessionid=1BFFC4364C9E2D0E2A41FE94DBFFE350.f01t01

[5]"(Actually the term is a misnomer: few people perceive no color at
all.)" - Jeremey Nathans
http://cichlid.umd.edu/cichlidlabs/kc/Teaching/Visionpdfs/Nathans1989.pdf

[6]"Color blindness is really a misnomer. People with various types of
color blindness are better described as being color vision deficient:
it's an inability to distinguish colors, not an inability to see
color. People at the furthest limits of color deficiency, however, may
have such an extreme inability to discern colors that this can be a
fairly accurate description." - Joe Dolson
https://www.joedolson.com/2010/10/color-blindness-myths-and-misunderstandings/

[7]"As you can see from these examples, 'color blindness' is really a
misnomer- most 'color blind' people do in fact see colors! The colors
seen may be different than those seen by someone with normal color
vision. Also, people with color deficiencies may see certain colors
(like red and green) as very similar, while someone with normal color
vision sees them as quite dissimilar. (Complete color blindness does
occur, but is quite rare.)" - vischeck
http://www.vischeck.com/examples/

[8]"Color blindness is an inaccurate term to describe a lack of
perceptual sensitivity to certain colors, a more precise term is Color
Vision Deficiency (CVD). Color blindness is, however, the most
commonly used term though it is misleading if taken literally, because
colorblind people CAN see colors, but cannot make out the difference
between some couples of complementary colors." - Archimedes Laboratory
Project
http://www.archimedes-lab.org/colorblindnesstest.html

--
Laura L. Carlson