Re: 10 Use Cases for Trust on the Web using LOD

> On 16 Mar 2020, at 17:32, Owen Ambur <Owen.Ambur@verizon.net> wrote:
>
> Henry, the use cases are now available in StratML format at https://stratml.us/drybridge/index.htm#UCWN
>
> Your about statement for Co-operating Systems is also available in StratML format, at https://stratml.us/drybridge/index.htm#COOS

That’s fun, if a bit geeky.

> As time permits, I look forward to learning more about PROV-XML, particularly whether it has been coordinated with national records management authorities and implemented in records management applications. https://www.w3.org/TR/2013/NOTE-prov-xml-20130430/#term-Plan
>
> Broadly speaking, the only logical basis for trust is verifiable performance ... which requires reliable records ... which at scale requires machine-readability.

Verifiable performance of whom?
Reliable records published by who?

Clearly the reliable records have to be published by someone who
is also verifiably performant. This is what democratic institutions
based on law are there to provide, namely:

 1. reliable legal structures (a key concept in law is predictability)
 2. balance of powers, so that different institutions can adjust the others
 3. Voter feedback, so that their views are taken into account and are
  adapted to the evolving reality

When an 18 year old wants to start driving, how does one establish
reliable performance? One needs a testing system to be put in place
to evaluate it. How can one decide if the testing system is reliable?
Well that’s what the institution of the DMV is for. It has checks and
balances too.

When a US car company wants to lease a car to someone from the rest of
the world they need to know that the person has a drivers license, and
thus has been tested for reliable driving, and has upheld their ability
by not breaking the law, as tested over time by a law enforcement system
in their country and around the world.

The US car rental company is confronted with a person X. They have no way
of knowing that the person is a reliable driver other than by checking
a driving record. That can be done by verifying a Verifiable Credential,
that has to be signed by the recognized institution of that country.

I deal with that as Use Case 9 "Anchor flexible Verifiable Credentials (age, licences, …)"
https://medium.com/@bblfish/use-cases-for-the-web-of-nations-361c24d5eaee

> Ultimately, with apologies to the Queen, artificial geopolitically biased boundaries and authorities become irrelevant.  All that matters is results -- in a worldwide web of intentions, stakeholders, and results.

That’s just not how the world works. I recommend you look at books on
geopolitics or law. A very good one on the latter is the just release
free online book ”Law for Computer Scientists” by Prof Mireille Hildebrandt
https://lawforcomputerscientists.pubpub.org/

Henry Story
https://co-operating.systems/