Re: Examples of applications built on LOD

Thank you to everyone who has contributed suggestions to this thread -
loads of great examples!

On 02/11/2018 13:35, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
> On 11/1/18 3:37 PM, Matt Wallis wrote:
>> I was challenged today to provide examples of applications that have
>> been built on LOD. What I'm looking for especially is examples that
>> might be recognized by 'the average man/woman in the street'. For
>> example, the BBC's use of their Dynamic Semantic Publishing
>> architecture for the Olympic Games. I'm also interested in examples
>> that are important to progress (e.g. scientific progress), but which
>> may not be known to those people (in the street).
>>
>> Can you help?
>>

> Hi Matt,
>
> This is a great question, especially bearing in mind the confusion that
> still persists circa., 2018.
Thank you :-)
> As Juan and a few others have indicated, it would be beneficial to
> further clarify your quest so that responses address the following:
>
> [1] Your question -- with precision
>
> [2] Broader clarity for the forum at large.
My question was rather imprecise. But maybe some of the interesting
more precise ;-)
You are right - greater clarity would now be helpful.

Maybe it would help if I give some background to my question: I am
creating Linked Data (as specified by the Linked Data principles from
TimBL). It is Open, but not mature enough to be considered for inclusion
in the LOD Cloud. As a software engineer/computer scientist, I have no
doubt about the power of this approach over others. But I am sure I'm
not alone in struggling sometimes to convince others (particularly those
with less technical backgrounds) of the merits of Linked Data. One of
the questions I received recently was along the lines of "That all
sounds great, but who really uses it; can you give me examples of
applications that I might have heard of that use Linked Data?"

So, Ettore Rizza's example of Google Knowledge Graph was of interest,
because it is what powers the info box in Google search results -
something that everyone is familiar with. But, I have no idea if the
underlying implementation used by Google is still based on TimBL's
Linked Data - as far as I  know, it started that way when Google
acquired Freebase (the original 1.9 billion N-Triples are still
available at https://developers.google.com/freebase/). Of course this is
a bad example of openness, and the people who asked me about example
applications are very keen on openness. But it does provide a good
example of what can be done.

Other contributions to this thread have scored much higher on openness
that the Google example!

> Here's a suggestion, regarding question framing:
>
> 1. Are there examples of public applications and services based on
> Linked Data (specifically as defined by the Linked Data principles
> guidelines from TimBL) ?
>
> 2. Are there examples of public applications and services based on the
> Linked Open Data Cloud?
These questions do help to clarify things for this forum, although I
guess it may require some inside knowledge to know which of these two
categories fits a particular public application, and some applications
may use a bit of both. I wouldn't be surprised, for example, if an
application used a mixture of 'bespoke' Linked Data that is there to
service the implementation of the application (e.g. configuration), as
well as data from the LOD Cloud, but perhaps I'm splitting hairs!

When I respond to the question I was asked, it will not be important for
me to be able to say whether or not an application is driven by data
from the LOD Cloud, because the people I'm talking to have not heard of
it. But for this forum, it is clearly of interest. Maybe to my shame, I
don't even know if the datasets I'm linking to (e.g. UK Companies House
beta) are in the LOD Cloud. If not, then do we need a third category for
LOD that's not in the LOD Cloud?

I wouldn't want to put people off responding to this thread on the
grounds that they don't know whether the underlying data is in the LOD
Cloud.

> Linked Data:
>
> Structured Data representation that leverages HTTP URIs for entity
> denotation and RDF sentences for entity description (i.e. connotation).
> Note, the aforementioned HTTP URIs are expected to resolve.
>
> LOD Cloud:
>
> Massive collective comprising Linked Data (published in line with Linked
> Data principles) by an ever increasing number of data publishers (agents
> [bots and/or people], companies, institutions etc.).

Yes.

Regards,
Matt.