Re: Please publish Turtle or JSON-LD instead of RDF/XML [was Re: Recommendation for transformation of RDF/XML to JSON-LD in a web browser?]

On 9/3/15 4:23 PM, Timothy W. Cook wrote:
> It is interesting to see the XML-haters want to abandoned RDF/XML.  IF
> you do not like it then do not use it.  But remmber that there is not
> an RDF serialization that can fully accomplish structural integrity
> like XML Schema.  RDF/XML gives us the ability to mix both in one
> structurally and semantically complete document.

I think the trending sentiment boils down to downgrading it from its
exalted position rather than total removal :)

It certainly shouldn't be removed or dropped.

Kingsley

> On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 4:52 PM, John Walker <john.walker@semaku.com
> <mailto:john.walker@semaku.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Martynas,
>
>     Indeed abandoning XML based serialisations would be foolish IMHO.
>
>     Both RDF/XML and TriX can be extremely useful in certain
>     circumstances.
>
>     John
>
>     On 3 Sep 2015, at 19:53, Martynas Jusevičius
>     <martynas@graphity.org <mailto:martynas@graphity.org>> wrote:
>
>     > With due respect, I think it would be foolish to burn the bridges to
>     > XML. The XML standards and infrastructure are very well developed,
>     > much more so than JSON-LD's. We use XSLT extensively on RDF/XML.
>     >
>     > Martynas
>     > graphityhq.com <http://graphityhq.com>
>     >
>     > On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 8:03 PM, David Booth <david@dbooth.org
>     <mailto:david@dbooth.org>> wrote:
>     >> Side note: RDF/XML was the first RDF serialization
>     standardized, over 15
>     >> years ago, at a time when XML was all the buzz. Since then other
>     >> serializations have been standardized that are far more human
>     friendly to
>     >> read and write, and easier for programmers to use, such as
>     Turtle and
>     >> JSON-LD.
>     >>
>     >> However, even beyond ease of use, one of the biggest problems
>     with RDF/XML
>     >> that I and others have seen over the years is that it misleads
>     people into
>     >> thinking that RDF is a dialect of XML, and it is not.  I'm sure
>     this
>     >> misconception was reinforced by the unfortunate depiction of
>     XML in the
>     >> foundation of the (now infamous) semantic web layer cake of
>     2001, which in
>     >> hindsight is just plain wrong:
>     >> http://www.w3.org/2001/09/06-ecdl/slide17-0.html
>     >> (Admittedly JSON-LD may run a similar risk, but I think that
>     risk is
>     >> mitigated now by the fact that RDF is already more established
>     in its own
>     >> right.)
>     >>
>     >> I encourage all RDF publishers to use one of the other standard
>     RDF formats
>     >> such as Turtle or JSON-LD.  All commonly used RDF tools now
>     support Turtle,
>     >> and many or most already support JSON-LD.
>     >>
>     >> RDF/XML is not officially deprecated, but I personally hope
>     that in the next
>     >> round of RDF updates, we will quietly thank RDF/XML for its
> [...]

Founder & CEO
OpenLink Software
Company Web: http://www.openlinksw.com