Re: Looking for pedagogically useful data sets

Hello Kingsley,

On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 06:06:00PM -0400, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
> I hope you are not assuming that I meant: ACID and tradition RDBMS are for
> losers?

Interpreting what you say is not easy for me. So forgive me if I have read
too much into your statement.

> My fundamental point is simply about the fact that RDBMS doesn't mean SQL
> RDBMS.

OK. I have no problem with SPARQL - I like it. But I have a problem with more
restricted query languages being used without very good reasons just because
NOSQL or whatever is hip. There are big data and small data use cases for
both SQL and its alternatives. Most of the time, one of them is clearly the
best design decision and I reject the notion that one technology solves all
use cases.

> Thus, ACID has nothing to do with being Relational, in regards to
> Database document construction and/or management.

I want to do this:

 BEGIN TRANSACTION
 <SPARQL query>
 <SPARQL update>
 COMMIT TRANSACTION

If you know a triple store that can do this, I will concede that ACID has
nothing to do with being "relational".

If this problem is solved, there is still the "data shapes" problem. I grok
that you want to allow exceptions from the data shape rules. So show me

1) how these exception can have value if they are not handled in the code
2) how your solution handles the RDF data shapes problem

I am also interested in how your solution handles the join performance problem
(from your company presentations, I gather that you have addressed this
somehow).

Besides, what is a database document?

> A traditional RDBMS != SQL RDBMS either. That has never ever been the case.

I think it has been the case for quite a while. But if you go back long enough,
that ceases to be true, yes.

Regards,

Michael Brunnbauer

--