Re: How to model valid time of resource properties?

On 10/15/14 8:36 AM, Frans Knibbe | Geodan wrote:
> On 2014-10-13 14:14, John Walker wrote:
>> Hi Frans,
>> See this example:
>> http://patterns.dataincubator.org/book/qualified-relation.html
>
> Thank you John! Strangely enough, I had not come across the Linked
> Data Patterns book before. But I can see it is a valuable resource
> with solutions for many common problems. And it looks pretty too! I am
> sure it will come in handy for problems that I haven't stumbled upon yet.
>
> A nice thing about this solution is that it doesn't need any
> extensions of core technologies. I do see some downsides, though:
>
> Let's assume I want to publish data about people, as in the examples.
> A person can have common properties defined by the FOAF vocabulary,
> like foaf:age or foaf:based_near. Properties like these are likely to
> change. If I want to record the time in which a statement is valid I
> would have to create a class for that relationship and add properties
> to that class that will allow me to associate a start time and an end
> time with the class. But by doing that I would not only be forced to
> create my own vocabulary, I would also replace common web wide
> semantics with my own semantics. Or would it still be possible to
> relate the original property with the custom class somehow?
>
> In the cases known to me that require the recording of history of
> resources, /all/ resource properties (except for the identifier) are
> things that can change in time. If this pattern would be applied, it
> would have to be applied to all properties, leading to vocabularies
> exploding and becoming unwieldy, as described in the Discussion
> paragraph.
>
> I think that the desire to annotate statements with things like valid
> time is very common. Wouldn't it be funny if the best solution to a
> such a common and relatively straightforward requirement is to create
> large custom vocabularies?
>
> Regards,
> Frans

Frans,

How about reified RDF statements?

I think discounting RDF reification vocabulary is yet another act of
premature optimization, in regards to the Semantic Web meme :)

Some examples:

[1] http://bit.ly/utterances-since-sept-11-2014 -- List of statements
made from a point in time.
[2] http://linkeddata.uriburner.com/c/8EPG33 -- About Connotation