Re: How to model valid time of resource properties?

On 2014-10-13 14:14, John Walker wrote:
> Hi Frans,
> See this example:
> http://patterns.dataincubator.org/book/qualified-relation.html

Thank you John! Strangely enough, I had not come across the Linked Data
Patterns book before. But I can see it is a valuable resource with
solutions for many common problems. And it looks pretty too! I am sure
it will come in handy for problems that I haven't stumbled upon yet.

A nice thing about this solution is that it doesn't need any extensions
of core technologies. I do see some downsides, though:

Let's assume I want to publish data about people, as in the examples. A
person can have common properties defined by the FOAF vocabulary, like
foaf:age or foaf:based_near. Properties like these are likely to change.
If I want to record the time in which a statement is valid I would have
to create a class for that relationship and add properties to that class
that will allow me to associate a start time and an end time with the
class. But by doing that I would not only be forced to create my own
vocabulary, I would also replace common web wide semantics with my own
semantics. Or would it still be possible to relate the original property
with the custom class somehow?

In the cases known to me that require the recording of history of
resources, /all/ resource properties (except for the identifier) are
things that can change in time. If this pattern would be applied, it
would have to be applied to all properties, leading to vocabularies
exploding and becoming unwieldy, as described in the Discussion paragraph.

I think that the desire to annotate statements with things like valid
time is very common. Wouldn't it be funny if the best solution to a such
a common and relatively straightforward requirement is to create large
custom vocabularies?

Regards,
Frans