Re: Technical challenges (Was Re: [ESWC 2015] First Call for Paper)

On 2014-10-02 01:48, Pablo N. Mendes wrote:
> I never claimed it was not social. But as it is often the case, it may
> be rooted in or (falsely) justified by technical misinformation.

You are right, that is of course likely. However, based on the feedback,
the bottleneck is about OC passing on the orders as they were instructed
from the publisher. Quite a bit of SW/LD OCs also feel that PDF is the
appropriate way to proceed today, and even tomorrow. There of course OCs
that do feel and encourage SW/LD tool stack is the right way to go, but,
we can clearly see what the end result is.

Let me put it this way: even workshops on "Linked Science" or "Semantic
Publishing" are advocating the use of PDF for paper submissions. Surely,
they know the potentials of the technologies that they are behind.

So, I don't think that all these people are uninformed or do not believe
or understand the technologies, but that they are simply following as
things always have been, without daring to rock the boat for potentially
something better.

OCs of major SW/LD conferences want to insure that things stay on course
i.e., 1) the conference makes money to survive or plus, 2) to get
sufficient paper submissions and lowering the barrier for researchers.

This is all about obedience, laziness, and carelessness. Technical
(mis)information is not even in the radar at this point.

Having said that, that's all okay and at the same time irrelevant. If
the authors can follow something along the lines of:

http://csarven.ca/call-for-linked-research

we should see notable changes.

> Sorry for having missed the discussions that addressed these concerns.
> Thanks for reiterating, because others may have missed them too. Perhaps
> we should go even further in breaking this down to the inattentive list
> member. You may get better bang for your buck if you distill the info
> into one/two-sentence questions and answers. The past threads you point
> out may be a great starting point. By giving pointers to concise and
> objective FAQs with examples that remove all doubt about technical
> issues, even the busiest PC chair will have no excuses to not accept
> those submissions. Others may even feel compelled to encourage them.

The goal is to try to get conferences, supervisors and authors all on
board to do their share.

> I, for one, plan to organize a workshop next year, and would like to
> encourage submissions in Webby formats.

That's great to hear! Thank you. Please do share the details of your
workshop when possible or interested in any feedback.

-Sarven
http://csarven.ca/#i