Re: Encoding an incomplete date as xsd:dateTime

It may be worth reminding ourselves (?) that in RDF you can use “all of the above”.
That is, if you want to make your RDF as consumable as possible, you may well represent the same stuff using more than one ontology.
This is true of lots of things, such as peoples’ names or different bibliographic ontologies (although sometimes subproperty will do), but is particularly true for date and time.

http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-time/
has an example at the end:

:meetingStart
      a       :Instant ;
      :inDateTime
              :meetingStartDescription ;
      :inXSDDateTime
              2006-01-01T10:30:00-5:00 .

:meetingStartDescription
      a       :DateTimeDescription ;
      :unitType :unitMinute ;
      :minute 30 ;
      :hour 10 ;
      :day 1 ;
      :dayOfWeek :Sunday ;
      :dayOfYear 1 ;
      :week 1 ;
      :month 1 ;
      :timeZone tz-us:EST ;
      :year 2006 .
and it might well be the case that you would have both (and other representations) in your dataset, and of course you would only assert the bits of the second representation that were appropriate.

Of course, that doesn’t answer your original question, Heiko (sorry!), about what the xsd version should look like.

Hugh

--
Hugh Glaser
   20 Portchester Rise