Re: URIs within URIs

On 8/24/14 1:16 PM, Mark Baker wrote:

> On Aug 22, 2014 12:23 PM, "Ruben Verborgh" <ruben.verborgh@ugent.be
> <mailto:ruben.verborgh@ugent.be>> wrote:
> > This gets us to a deeper difference between (current) Linked Data
> and the rest of the Web:
> > Linked Data uses only links as hypermedia controls,
> > whereas the remainder of the Web uses links *and forms*.
> > Forms are a much more powerful mechanism to discover information.
>
> Indeed. Interestingly, this use case was the first one I published as
> an example of RDF Forms;
>
> http://www.markbaker.ca/2003/10/UriProxy/

Yes, but I don't agree with Ruben's notion that "forms are much more
powerful mechanism to discover information".

You can query & discover data via URLs without a form control. The value
of forms is at a much higher interaction level, and that higher level
simply compliments lower levels (such a URLs which have a powerful query
component). The ability to capture constants or variables in regards to
subject, predicate, and object via the query component of a URL doesn't
require a form.

Ruben:
The utility of one part of a stack doesn't have to imply being better
than some other layer within the same stack. The "Horses for courses"
doctrine lies at the core of AWWW. Then moment you tinker with that
ethos, we end up with nothing but confusion, for all the wrong reasons.

Forms are useful. Their utility doesn't have to be described in ways
that infer superiority over other aspects of the stack, in regards to
information discoverability.

Let's bring these puzzle-pieces together. At the end of the day, they
simply enable the construction and completion of lots of jigsaw puzzles
in this medium we know as the World Wide Web.

Founder & CEO
OpenLink Software
Company Web: http://www.openlinksw.com