Re: How to Find Ontologies and Data for Reuse

On 4/1/14 1:24 AM, Arvind Padmanabhan wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I wish to create a web application specific to the domain of Indian
> Classical Music. I know the LOD project has lots of publicly available
> data. Two questions:
>
> 1. How do I find ontologies that I can reuse for my application? A
> general ontology on music will be useful but beyond that someone might
> have already defined a more specific ontology for my domain. How do I
> find that?

Look at the LOV cloud [1].

> 2. There might already be lots of data instances in this domain. How
> do I find them? This will help me determine areas where data is
> missing so that I can focus on filling those gaps.

You can take a look at the live 50 Billion+ triples based LOD Cloud
cache [2] we maintain.

> In the spirit of reuse, is there a tool I can use to find applicable
> sources? I am starting of with Indian Classical Music but in future I
> will extend this work to all data pertaining to India.

In regards to our LOD Cloud cache, you have a "precision find" UI that
basically support text search patterns and exploration over entity
relations [3].

Links:

[1] http://lov.okfn.org/dataset/lov/ -- LOV cloud
[2] http://lod.openlinksw.com -- LOD Cloud cache
[3] http://lod.openlinksw.com/c/F4ILPRO -- Entity Types associated with
the text pattern "Music"
[4] http://lod.openlinksw.com/c/G2D6BNM -- Relations in which an entity
associated with the pattern "Music" plays the subject role
[5] http://lod.openlinksw.com/c/GZ6JHL7 -- Relations in which an entity
associated with the pattern "Music" plays the object role.

> Thanks,
> Arvind

Founder & CEO
OpenLink Software