Re: Licensing advice

On 12/07/13 18:02, Víctor Rodríguez Doncel wrote:
> Hi Barry,
>
> First, the obvious: the MusicBrainz core data is in the Public Domain,
> and you can freely publish its transformation as you like, but the
> MusicBrainz supplementary data is CC-BY-NC-SA and its transformations
> must be shared "alike".

Agreed. More as an academic curiosity we were wondering whether data
produced through mappings could be constrained by the licensing applied
to those mappings.

> So, if you have created a dataset, this time in RDF, containing the
> "user ratings" (supplementary data) in MusicBrainz, you have little
> choice: CC-BY-NC-SA. Yet DBpedia requires CC-BY-SA, so in theory this
> downgrade would not be acceptable: you should not include in DBpedia
> any piece belonging to the "MusicBrainz Supplementary Data".

I was only thinking about the linkset (sameAs and seeAlso
relationships), but now you've made me wonder whether even the
Wikipedia-targeting advanced relationships aren't actually supplemental
data - I will check this with the MB folks.

> Next, about the granularity level for licensing: individuals of
> rr:TriplesMap look a perfect target to be attributed and licensed.

Yes, I think that would be neat.

> [...] A single triple pointing to a license (  <myTripleMap>
> dc:license <license_of_your_choice>) should suffice.

Agreed, though the attribution (dc:creator, I guess - plus potentially
dc:contributor) could go over subsets.

> Finally, I see the question "triples that are created using it" as
> very conflictive one. Are those triples transformed versions of the
> mapping?

Yes, as above. It's a bit of an academic question whether mappings can
constrain the license of data created using them (as certain software
affects products run through it - cf. Apple's)

Barry