Re: Publication of scientific research

On 04/24/2013 05:54 PM, Carsten Keßler wrote:
> We had this discussion among the Linked Science workshop organizers
> several times. I'm with Paul, I think that a human-readable
> description is central to the dissemination of research results (and
> will probably remain for the foreseeable future). I'm not saying that
> PDF is the best way to do this, especially when it comes to pointing
> to or even integrating additional resources, but it is certainly the
> most widely accepted one. This also leads directly to the question how
> to make sure that we produce is still readable in 10, 20, or even 50
> years? IMO, there's no big risk if you go with PDF, but for other,
> less main-stream formats – who knows?
>
> If the semantic web community as a whole comes up with a better way of
> publishing results that also ensures archiving and long-term
> accessibility, plus better integration with non-textual resources, I'm
> all for it. In fact, the Linked Science workshop would be a good venue
> to present and discuss ideas in this direction.

To be honest, it is shocking to read that on this mailing list!

It doesn't sound like you are convinced of this Web thing, when you say
that the desktop PDF thing is less of a risk to publish and access
information.

We already have a great mechanism in place that forever changed the
world, thanks to TimBL and everyone that contributed to the Web
architecture. Still need to be convinced of the application that you use
everyday?

Stop looking for some magical new technology, because we already have a
whole suit of them that's native to the Web.

-Sarven