Re: Content negotiation negotiation

On 23 Apr 2013, at 22:39, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
 wrote:

> On 4/23/13 5:04 PM, Hugh Glaser wrote:
>> Ah POWDER - of course.
>> It all comes together :-)
>> (Sorry if this is boring and obvious to others - and thanks Kingsley.)
>> So last (?!) 2 things, if I may.
>> Any proposal to attach types to the objects of the wdrs:desribedby triples?
>
> So as in <http://ns.nature.com/docs/terms/datatypes/anyURI___279277607.html> you seek the xsd:anyURI type qualification, for objects of said relation, right? If yes, then fine, it can be added quickly.
I don't think so.
I am not after a datatype.
In fact I find datatypes particularly unhelpful in an RDF/SPARQL context, but that's another story.

What I am after is the MIME type of the different alternates that are offered for conneg.
So I can query something like
SELECT ?source FROM { <http://dbpedia.org/resource/Luton> ?foo ?file . ?file mime:application/json ?source . }
and then choose my json source.

All that wdrs:described by tells me is that there is another file, but nothing about the format.
(Of course the "json" at the end is a hint, but it is really just an opaque string.)
I could of course resolve them all, asking for json or whatever, and see what the response code/header gives me back, but I don't want to/can't really see headers in the Linked Data context. And the server provider would not thank me for the traffic.
And in any case, many servers are particularly bad at giving a 406 or whatever it is, and simply give a 200 and html.

>> Any proposal so that I can infer the available types for the whole dataset, rather than inferring from a particular resource resolution?
>
> You mean for RDF resources such as the one denoted by <http://dbpedia.org/data/Luton.ttl> ? If yes, then we can just add the missing resource metadata relations which would basically come from VoID [1].
I mean for the whole dbpedia.org/resource dataset.
I am guessing that the range of content for most significant sites (such as dbpedia) is actually the same for all resources.
So I could build a KB that had the formats available.
In fact, I might even add it to my voiD store.

> Links:
>
> 1. http://www.w3.org/TR/void/#class-property-partitions
By the way, I can't seem to see the wdrs:describedby stuff in http://dbpedia.org/resource/Luton at the moment.

Best