Re: Content negotiation negotiation

Hello Hugh,

if you have a representation, you could specify its MIME type with
dcterms:format and the http://purl.org/NET/mediatypes/ namespace.

Connecting the representation with the URL requires the URL to be described
with something like POWDER or uri4uri.net and some conneg property.

wdrs:describedby can then be used to connect the URL with the resource.
The URL/resource distinction may even be necessary if the resource is an
information resource .

[just a quick shot - I am currently occupied with something else]

Regards,

Michael Brunnbauer

On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 11:06:49AM +0000, Hugh Glaser wrote:
> On 23 Apr 2013, at 22:39, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
>  wrote:
>
> > On 4/23/13 5:04 PM, Hugh Glaser wrote:
> >> Ah POWDER - of course.
> >> It all comes together :-)
> >> (Sorry if this is boring and obvious to others - and thanks Kingsley.)
> >> So last (?!) 2 things, if I may.
> >> Any proposal to attach types to the objects of the wdrs:desribedby triples?
> >
> > So as in <http://ns.nature.com/docs/terms/datatypes/anyURI___279277607.html> you seek the xsd:anyURI type qualification, for objects of said relation, right? If yes, then fine, it can be added quickly.
> I don't think so.
> I am not after a datatype.
> In fact I find datatypes particularly unhelpful in an RDF/SPARQL context, but that's another story.
>
> What I am after is the MIME type of the different alternates that are offered for conneg.
> So I can query something like
> SELECT ?source FROM { <http://dbpedia.org/resource/Luton> ?foo ?file . ?file mime:application/json ?source . }
> and then choose my json source.
>
> All that wdrs:described by tells me is that there is another file, but nothing about the format.
> (Of course the "json" at the end is a hint, but it is really just an opaque string.)
> I could of course resolve them all, asking for json or whatever, and see what the response code/header gives me back, but I don't want to/can't really see headers in the Linked Data context. And the server provider would not thank me for the traffic.
> And in any case, many servers are particularly bad at giving a 406 or whatever it is, and simply give a 200 and html.
>
> >> Any proposal so that I can infer the available types for the whole dataset, rather than inferring from a particular resource resolution?
> >
> > You mean for RDF resources such as the one denoted by <http://dbpedia.org/data/Luton.ttl> ? If yes, then we can just add the missing resource metadata relations which would basically come from VoID [1].
> I mean for the whole dbpedia.org/resource dataset.
> I am guessing that the range of content for most significant sites (such as dbpedia) is actually the same for all resources.
> So I could build a KB that had the formats available.
> In fact, I might even add it to my voiD store.
> >
> > Links:
> >
> > 1. http://www.w3.org/TR/void/#class-property-partitions
> By the way, I can't seem to see the wdrs:describedby stuff in http://dbpedia.org/resource/Luton at the moment.
>
> Best
> Hugh
> >
> > Kingsley
> >> Cheers

> > --
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Kingsley Idehen
> > Founder & CEO
> > OpenLink Software
> > Company Web: http://www.openlinksw.com
> > Personal Weblog: http://www.openlinksw.com/blog/~kidehen
> > Twitter/Identi.ca handle: @kidehen
> [...]

++  netEstate GmbH
++  Geisenhausener Straße 11a
++  81379 München
++  Tel +49 89 32 19 77 80
++  Fax +49 89 32 19 77 89
++  E-Mail brunni@netestate.de
++  http://www.netestate.de/
++
++  Sitz: München, HRB Nr.142452 (Handelsregister B München)
++  USt-IdNr. DE221033342
++  Geschäftsführer: Michael Brunnbauer, Franz Brunnbauer
++  Prokurist: Dipl. Kfm. (Univ.) Markus Hendel