Re: Restpark - Minimal RESTful API for querying RDF triples

On 4/16/13 3:29 PM, Luca Matteis wrote:
> Mark, true this isn't actually REST.
>
> I just felt that REST is such a buzzword these days for defining
> simple and easily implementable web services. Which is exactly what
> Restpark aims to be.
>
> Kingsley, it seems like you haven't used databases such as CouchDB
> that *only* expose an HTTP API (this on is actually fully RESTful).
> CouchDB is an entirely scalable and widely used database solution, so
> I don't fully understand your scaling argument.

You have basically confirmed my point!

CouchDB has a CouchDB specific collection of interaction patterns.
SPARQL is one interaction pattern equipped with a powerful declarative
query language. Remember, this is the Web of Data not the Web of CouchDB
accessible data etc.. :-)

Kingsley

> I totally understand that SPARQL is meant to "do it all" and that's
> obviously needed. The purpose of Restpark is not to "do it all" but
> simply to offer the basic features sufficient for many uses cases.
>

> On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 9:06 PM, Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org
> <mailto:distobj@acm.org>> wrote:
>
>     On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 1:52 PM, Luca Matteis <lmatteis@gmail.com
>     <mailto:lmatteis@gmail.com>> wrote:
>     > I have recently created Restpark:
>     http://lmatteis.github.io/restpark/
>     >
>     > It's my way of pushing a standard RESTful interface for
>     accessing RDF data.
>
>     Unfortunately, this isn't REST. REST APIs must use hypermedia;
>
>     http://roy.gbiv.com/untangled/2008/rest-apis-must-be-hypertext-driven
>
>     A hypermedia solution would declare a form that described how to
>     construct a new URI which could be used to retrieve the data via GET.
>     The form would provide the parameter names (e.g. "subject") along with
>     their types (e.g. rdf:subject).
>
>     Mark.

Founder & CEO
OpenLink Software