Re: Restpark - Minimal RESTful API for querying RDF triples

On 4/16/13 3:28 PM, Aidan Hogan wrote:

> In practice, it is not at all difficult to find (interesting) SPARQL
> queries that existing engines cannot run completely and correctly. I
> (unfortunately) find them all the time without even trying.
>
> SPARQL evaluation does not scale, cannot scale, will never scale.

That should depend on the combination of query, dataset size, computing
power, and SPARQL engine quality. In the worst case, the query should
simple conclude: I cannot provide a solution within the time allotted,
so give me more time....

I would be very happy to look at some of those queries thrown at the
instance we maintain at: http://lod.openlinksw.com . It has a massive
data collection (50+ billion triples) and a publicly accessible SPARQL
endpoint. As I said, your worst case should be: give me more time to
compute a solution or the query optimizer has determined that your
solution simply requires too much computing resources etc..

Back to you, send me SPARQL queries or SPARQL protocol URLs.

> But maybe I misunderstand. What do you mean when you say "SPARQL
> scales"? :)

There's one SPARQL query language and wire protocol combination. Not so
re. any RESTful interface since there will never be consensus which
means its a steady march to a zillion interaction patterns and media
types etc..

> With respect to Restpark, binary search is logarithmic and answering a
> Restpark query would require one or two lookups. Some potential
> problems for scale arise from low-selectivity lookups, but that's a
> drop in the ocean compared to what's faced by SPARQL engines.

Founder & CEO
OpenLink Software
Company Web: http://www.openlinksw.com
Twitter/Identi.ca handle: @kidehen