Re: Document Action: 'The Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) Status Code 308 (Permanent Redirect)' to Experimental RFC (draft-reschke-http-status-308-07.txt)

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 9:15 PM, James Leigh <james@3roundstones.com> wrote:
> Could this 308 (Permanent Redirect) give us a way to cache a probe URI's
> definition document location?
>
> An issue people have with httpRange-14 is that 303 redirects can't be
> cached. If we could agree to use a 308 response as a cache-able
> alternative to 303, we could reduce server load and speed client URI
> processing (by caching the result of a probe URI).
>
> Thoughts?
> James

The HTTP bug where 303 response to a GET is uncachable has been a
known mistake for a long time; it's been in the RFC 2616 errata list,
and has been fixed in most drafts of HTTPbis.

Clients should have seen the errata and fixed this eons ago.

Jonathan