Re: The Battle for Linked Data

On 3/27/12 9:21 AM, Hugh Glaser wrote:
> On 26 Mar 2012, at 20:13, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>> TimBL's  Linked Data meme isn't about "sharing," solely. What about "whole data representation" and the URI de-reference requirements?
>> Ditto unambiguous URI based naming etc..
>
> Hi Kingsley
> I note that you are now (as far as I can see) ensuring that you always use "TimBL's  Linked Data" (meme).

Yes re. the principles in play. Of course, modulo RDF and SPARQL
specificity re. point #3 :-)

> So clearly your answer to "What is Linked Data?" is "What you interpret as what Tim says it should be."

What he outlined in the original meme since I still hold the position
that #3 compromises the original GOLDEN meme. But that's a distracting
detail at this juncture.

> Exposing this issue is actually much of why I posted my article.
>
> So is it "TimBL's  Web"?

I am not saying or inferring that.
> I think most agree it is not.
> It certainly isn't what Tim planned :-)

I think he planned (clearly depicted in the WWW proposal diagram) what
he described in his original Linked meme. We have a Web of resources
connected by links that facilitate a variety of relations. The relations
in question cover:

1. Loose references to named entities
2. Citations and References
3. Explicit Entity Descriptions
4. Explicit Definitions of Classes and Properties that ultimately add
semantic fidelity to relations.

> Best
> Hugh
Links:

1. http://goo.gl/DRvQM -- post about Data that includes TimBLs original
WWW proposal diagrams plus derivatives I've made en route to
illustrating URIs as properties of data delivering specific functions
re., Name (Reference) and Address (Access)  .

Founder&  CEO
OpenLink Software
Company Web: http://www.openlinksw.com
Twitter/Identi.ca handle: @kidehen