Re: UK reference URIs

On 7/3/12 12:42 PM, Augusto Herrmann wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Yes, I noticed that as well. I knew of this linked data before, and
> was just going to show to officials here in the Ministry as an example
> of what interesting things can be done by publishing open government
> data as linked open data. I decided to show them the Puelia PHP
> interface data.gov.uk had for showing triples by dereferencing the URI
> of a school, road or a government departed. But then I was surprised
> to find it doesn't work anymore...
>
> Example: http://reference.data.gov.uk/doc/department/co/unit/national-school-of-government
>
> Note: 303 Redirects still work, e.g.
> http://reference.data.gov.uk/id/department/co/unit/national-school-of-government
> redirects to the URL above.
>
> Any word on what happened?
>
> Regards,
> Augusto Herrmann
> Open Data Team - Ministry of Planning - Brazil
>
> On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 7:31 AM, Sarven Capadisli <info@csarven.ca> wrote:
>> Greetings and salutations,
>>
>> Several weeks ago I've noticed that reference.data.gov.uk was not resolving.
>> It still appears to be the case. Is this a temporary issue?
>>
>> Same goes for education.data.gov.uk - although this goes back a year or two
>> even. I've reported this issue back then, but haven't heard back.
>>
>> It is sad to see these great resources drop, especially the reference URIs
>> in my opinion, because they fit really well in context of statistical data.
>>
>> If anyone has any insiders on this or would like to comment on design
>> considerations going forward, that'd be great.
>>
>> -Sarven

Sarven,

Also note, we did upload a lot of Data.Gov.UK (what we could get our
hands on) to the LOD cloud cache [1] we maintain.

Links:

1. http://lod.openlinksw.com/fct -- full text search and faceted browser
interface

2. http://lod.openlinksw.com/sparql -- sparql endpoint

3. http://education.data.gov.uk/id/school/100868 -- sample URI that no
longer resolves

4.
http://lod.openlinksw.com/describe/?url=http://education.data.gov.uk/id/school/100868
-- access to the same data albeit not via its canonical URI

5.
http://linkeddata.uriburner.com/describe/?url=http%3A%2F%2Freference.data.gov.uk%2Fdef%2Fcentral-government%2FDepartment
-- Government Departments

6. http://delicious.com/kidehen/logd -- some demos bookmarked from the
past that will provide various pathways to what's in the LOD cloud cache.

All:

As was stated at the advent of the Linked Open Data Community project,
publishing dumps have value. Linked Data enables us to keep the data
accessible via the Web. Ultimately, we will have a mesh of caches and
archives that increase resilience to occasional disruption.

Founder & CEO
OpenLink Software
Company Web: http://www.openlinksw.com
Twitter/Identi.ca handle: @kidehen