Re: How do OBO ontologies work on the LOD?

Hi Juan,

Thanks for this. I read the paper. They have an "OWL" version of this OBO
vocabulary but it seems to not be a fully mapped OWL version as described
in your paper.

In this particular use case I was thinking of applying the terms and
properties described by the ontology to my species concepts.

For instance:

species X has this metabolic pathway.  (which would be useful for finding
species with potential drug interactions or other chemical reactions)

I don't think this use case requires the full OBO  relationships, just a
mapping ontology that connects terms and characters to those in the OBO
ontology.

Doing it this way you might get a species "tagged" with something that is
not appropriate but that could be detected by some service that analyzes
the statements made
in the species concept markup.

My guess is that some of the OBO ontologies (if fully entailed) will not
play well on the LOD cloud, but they would play a useful role when mapped
as I described.

Does my interpretation seem appropriate to you or am I missing something?

Thanks,

- Pete