Re: Best Practice for Renaming OWL Vocabulary Elements

On 5/19/11 1:57 PM, Martin Hepp wrote:
> Hi Kingsley:
> I basically agree with all what you are saying, and I see many areas where it is not feasible or in the long run not scalable to use human-readable identifiers.

Sure, "horses for courses".
> As for the education aspect of it, I am not totally convinced, because while improving the understanding of the mechanics of LOD, it also increases the cognitive entrance barrier for practitioners who do not want to be educated, but simply get a certain job done, and making it more complicated or more costly or less fun to use a new technique will reduce the number of users.

I am trying to say: by understanding the underlying concepts we end up
with the following:

1. Clearer messaging
2. Dexterous messaging -- tell the same story in different ways to a
plethora of audience profiles
3. Inclusive messaging -- people that grok the concepts from other
realms just get on board and add their expertise and experiences to the
pot..

> All: I was not in general advocating human-readable URIs.

I know you aren't. Your point is that for your Horse you've taken a
particular Course. That's how it should be done. Also remember, as far
as I am concerned, <http://productontology.org> is a great example of a
Linked Data pattern that's easy to comprehend by folks outside LOD and
SemWeb communities. I can easily discern:

1. HTTP URIs used as Entity Names
2. HTTP URLs that serve as Data Source Names (Addresses).

>   I was just saying that they are often the best compromise for small Web vocabularies that aim at real-world adoption, human-readable URIs and short, intuitive local parts for CURIEs, and I am deeply convinced they are the best choice for GoodRelations.

100% fine, bar my little quibble about labels :-)

Kingsley
> Best
>
> Martin
>
> On May 19, 2011, at 6:54 PM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>
>> On 5/19/11 4:39 AM, Martin Hepp wrote:
>>> Hi all:
>>>
>>> GoodRelations uses English keywords as concept identifiers, same as most programming languages except for machine code and most markup languages (e.g. "h1" in HTML, "property" in RDFa) use English keywords. The main reason is that as soon as the raw identifiers need to be handled by humans, at least sometimes, then ergonomic considerations recommend human-readable identifiers.
>>>
>>> By the way, the question whether keys/identifiers in computer systems should be human-readable is a freshmen's topic in Information Systems,
>>> and the textbook knowledge is that
>>>
>>> - cryptic keys are usually shorter and it is easier to avoid collisions (in the sense of accidental duplicate assignment)
>>> - human readable keys are much more productive for humans to handle.
>>>
>>> The textbook recommendation in Information Systems is:
>>> 1. Use cryptic keys when the key is used ONLY by machines.
>>> 2. Use human-readable keys when key is, at least sometimes, used by HUMANS and machines.
>>>
>>> I see the point in using cryptic identifiers for conceptual elements in very large vocabularies that will never be handled manually.
>>> But for broadly used Web vocabularies, cryptic identifiers are as inadequate as replacing all HTML element keys by hexadecimal codes.
>>>
>>> By the way: Keep in mind that "you can write URIs on a bus". If human-readability of URIs was irrelevant, why do business pay a lot of money for short or catchy domain names?
>> Yes, but to whom do you speak when using the term: URI ? It is this usage that continues to shape what I describe as the "elephant in the room" problem re. Linked Data adoption. Basically, Linked Data adoption can be a smooth and coherently continuous experience for Web users and developers.
>>
>> I see quality Web users and developers as being comprised of the following profiles:
>>
>> 1. Browser users - open and bookmark pages primarily via URLs
>>
>> 2. Web 1.0 developers -- works with HTTP as data access mechanism with HTML as data representation format via URLs
>>
>> 3. Web 2.0 developers-- ditto with the addition of RESTful interaction (client-server) patterns with XML and/or JSON as formats for data representation.
>>
>>> To be frank - and sorry for offending people in here: If the opinions dominating this discussion are representative of the community, then the Semantic Web is bound to failure, because you seem to completely ignore
>>>
>>> 1. adoption issues, in particular ergonomics and cognitive aspects,
>>> 2. the economics of diffusion, and the

President&  CEO
OpenLink Software
Web: http://www.openlinksw.com
Twitter/Identi.ca: kidehen