Re: create HTML based on RDF?

On 5/6/11 7:53 AM, Egon Willighagen wrote:
> Dear Frans,
>
> On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 1:02 PM, Frans Knibbe<frans.knibbe@geodan.nl>  wrote:
>> I notice that it would be really helpful if I could automatically generate
>> HTML files based on the RDF files. That way I can focus on just keeping the
>> RDF file in good shape. After creating or editing an RDF file I could run
>> something that makes a HTML representation.

Egon,

> A very simple approach is to use standard web software, which everyone
> has installed already: a normal webbrowser, a normal webserver,
> RDF/XML, and XSLT.

What is a normal Web Server? Linked Data is about a different Web
dimension. Even on the conventional front, how many people manage their
own Web Server?

In the pre Web era people installed Access, FoxPRO, Filemaker PRO,
Paradox, DBase, Excel etc.. on their desktops or workgroup servers. All
of these products are/were capable of importing data and then allowing
users make Views and Reports. The shortcoming of all of these products
is that the output was in binary format and sharing data required
everyone to acquire a copy of these software products.

Linked Data changes the warped scenario I described above by allowing
people install products (various i.e, beyond concept of "standard web
server") and then use import, export, and "save as.." patterns to share
data. The data in question simply needs to take the form of an
entity-attribute-value graph where resolvable URIs (de-reference and
address-of combo) a valid reference value types in the entity,
attribute, value (optionally) slots.

> E.g. checkout this Resource:
>
> http://rdf.openmolecules.net/?InChI=1/CH4/h1H4

What's increasingly lost re. Linked Data is that every resource needs to
be a structured data source where information and data sources are
decoupled. Basically, every resource should be a structured data source
in its own right that allows humans or machines to deductively discover
linked data graphs in preferred/desired representation formats.

Examples:

1.
http://linkeddata.informatik.hu-berlin.de/uridbg/index.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Frdf.openmolecules.net%2F%3FInChI%3D1%2FCH4%2Fh1H4&useragentheader=&acceptheader=
-- this is your page

2.
http://linkeddata.informatik.hu-berlin.de/uridbg/index.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Furiburner.com%2Fdescribe%2F%3Furi%3Dhttp%3A%2F%2Fdbpedia.org%2Fresource%2FLinked_Data&useragentheader=&acceptheader=
-- here is what you get just by importing RDF into Virtuoso as per my
earlier response .

The point above isn't to knock your suggestion (far from it), I am
juxtaposing so you can see what I mean re. deeper aspects of Linked Data
Deployment that uses loose coupling or information and data to ensure
every resource is a human or machine comprehensible structured data
source. Basically, this means:

1. Use of <link/> within <head/> -- for user agents that understand Web
Linking patterns
2. Use of "Link:" in HTTP response headers -- for user agents that
understand HTTP response metadata
3. Page Footer links to different representation formats -- for humans
via HTML page that also includes RDFa.

> The web server will always return RDF/XML, and this XML document has
> an associated XSLT stylesheet which is used by your web browser to
> create human-targeted HTML, by using this line in the document:
>
> <?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="http://rdf.openmolecules.net/html.xsl"?>

See my comments above re. going a little deeper re. Linked Data vector
patterns for the InterWeb :-)

> Egon

President&  CEO
OpenLink Software