Re: Schema.org in RDF ...

On 6/7/11 8:44 AM, Bernard Vatant wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Something I don't understand. If I read well all savvy discussions so
> far, publishers behind http://schema.org URIs are unlikely to ever
> provide any RDF description, so why are those URIs declared as
> identifiers of RDFS classes in the http://schema.rdfs.org/all.rdf. For
> all I can see, http://schema.org/Person is the URI of an information
> resource, not of a class.
> So I would rather have expected mirroring of the schema.org
> <http://schema.org> URIs by schema.rdfs.org <http://schema.rdfs.org>
> URIs, the later fully dereferencable proper RDFS classes expliciting
> the semantics of the former, while keeping the reference to the source
> in some dcterms:source element.
>
> Example, instead of ...
>
> <rdf:Descriptionrdf:about="http://schema.org/Person">
> <rdf:typerdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#Class"/>
> <rdfs:labelxml:lang="en">Person</rdfs:label>
> <rdfs:commentxml:lang="en">A person (alive, dead, undead, or
> fictional).</rdfs:comment>
> <rdfs:subClassOfrdf:resource="http://schema.org/Thing"/>
> <rdfs:isDefinedByrdf:resource="http://schema.org/Person"/>
> </rdf:Description>
>
> where I see a clear abuse of rdfs:isDefinedBy, since if you
> dereference the said URI, you don't find any explicit RDF definition ...
>
> I would rather have the following
>
> <rdf:Descriptionrdf:about="http://schema.rdfs.org/Person">
> <rdf:typerdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#Class"/>
> <rdfs:labelxml:lang="en">Person</rdfs:label>
> <rdfs:commentxml:lang="en">A person (alive, dead, undead, or
> fictional).</rdfs:comment>
> <rdfs:subClassOfrdf:resource="http://schema.rdfs.org/Thing"/>
> <dcterms:sourcerdf:resource="http://schema.org/Person"/>
> </rdf:Description>
>
> To the latter declaration, one could safely add statements like
>
> schema.rdfs:Person rdfs:subClassOf  foaf:Person
>
> etc
>
> Or do I miss the point?

You didn't miss anything :-)

Here is an example of an updated tweak [1] of what we did with Google's
initial foray into this realm combined with recent developments at:
schema.rdfs.org.

Note, anyone can yank out this data, tweak, and then share (ideally via
Web in pure Linked Data form). I'll be sending an archive to Micheal and
Co. post hitting send button re. this mail.

Links:

1.
http://uriburner.com/describe/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fschema.rdfs.org%2Fall&p=2&lp=4&first=&op=0&gp=2

Kingsley

> Bernard
>
> 2011/6/3 Michael Hausenblas <michael.hausenblas@deri.org
> <mailto:michael.hausenblas@deri.org>>
>

>     http://schema.rdfs.org
>
>     ... is now available - we're sorry for the delay ;)
>
>     Cheers,
>            Michael
>     --
>     Dr. Michael Hausenblas, Research Fellow
>     LiDRC - Linked Data Research Centre
>     DERI - Digital Enterprise Research Institute
>     NUIG - National University of Ireland, Galway
>     Ireland, Europe
>     Tel. +353 91 495730
>     http://linkeddata.deri.ie/
>     http://sw-app.org/about.html