Re: Is 303 really necessary?

From: David Booth <david@dbooth.org>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 12:49:19 -0500
To: nathan@webr3.org
Cc: Linked Data community <public-lod@w3.org>
On Fri, 2010-11-26 at 14:30 +0000, Nathan wrote:
>    http://webr3.org/apps/notes/web#atypedlink
>
> partial story of creating /a/ semantic web, rather than /the/ semantic web.

Thanks for posting this.  I like the reasoning, but one part I think is
overstated to the point of being incorrect:

  "It is critical to note, that you cannot name real world
  things with URIs, you cannot name the moon with a URI,
  just as you cannot send the moon through a computer."

You later discuss the idea of using a URI to name something
*as-described-by* a document, and this I think is a very good point to
make.  But I don't think it invalidates the idea that you can name real
world things with URIs.   I suggest toning down the above statement and
further explaining the idea that the identity of a resource may not be
unambiguously determined, but it is determined only to the extent that
its description determines it.

--
David Booth, Ph.D.
Cleveland Clinic (contractor)