Re: Making Linked Data Fun

On 11/21/10 6:03 PM, Sarven Capadisli wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-11-19 at 13:38 -0500, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>> On 11/19/10 11:39 AM, John Erickson wrote:
>>> This "single most powerful demo available" is an epic fail on Ubuntu
>>> 10.10 + Chrome.
> Considering first release goals, I think it is an epic win.
>
>> End-users don't use Ubuntu + Chrome. It should be an epic fail for that
>> demographic :-)
> It doesn't work on my Ubuntu 10.10 + Firefox 3.6.12 + Moonlight 2.3. I
> suspect the issue rests with Moonlight.

Sarven,

Yes, the issue is with Moonlight. As most don't seem to recall (Google
is nice for history), we were one of the early players re. Mono as a
cross platform .NET initiative. Virtuoso started hosting .NET and Mono
as far back as 2002. I eventually had to pull back our investment in
Mono due to a boundless spectrum of issues that were best left to the
resources at Novell and Microsoft to resolve.

Anyway, PivotViewer provides a specific item, and when there is
specificity ports can be more predictable. Thus, I am already on
Miguel's case about this problem. I am confident this matter will also
be resolved soon.
>> This is for end-users, not for Linux geeks.
> Why is it not for everybody?

As per comments above.

We've have a lot of history with Mono. Adding its unpredictability to
the goal of end-user oriented Linked Data comprehension via visual
interaction simply wasn't (isn't) prudent.

> I sure hope that the Linux community does not chalk up the Semantic Web
> community's efforts as even too geeky for their community. Similarly,
> why do they still continue to work on making the desktop UX better for
> the end-users?

KDE Office is making strides re. Desktop exploitation of RDF and Linked
Data in general. We are also working closely with the Nepomuk and KDE folks.

> I hopped on Windows to test it out. This is a really cool demo!
>
> Is there a page somewhere that lists visualization / data exploration
> tools and platforms that we can use for different datasets?

I am going to make a few posts about this effort. There is much more to
it than you see on the surface, via my initial demos. Everything you've
seen so far is just a tease :-)

> -Sarven

President&  CEO
OpenLink Software