Re: What is a URL? And What is a URI

On 11/11/10 12:52 PM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
> All,

Type fixes
> As the conversation about HTTP responses evolves, I am inclined to
> believe that most still believe that:
>
> 1. URL is equivalent to a URI
> 2. URI is a fancier term for URI
> 3. URI is equivalent to URL.

1. URL is equivalent to a URI
2. URI is a fancier term for URL
3. URI is equivalent to URL.

> I think my opinion on this matter is clear, but I am very interested
> in the views of anyone that don't agree with the following:
>
> 1. URI is an abstraction for Identifiers that work at InterWeb scale
> 2. A URI can serve as a Name
> 3. A URI can serve as an Address
> 4. A Name != Address
> 5. We locate Data at Addresses
> 6. Names can be used to provide indirection to Addresses i.e., Names
> can Resolve to Data.

1. URI is an abstraction for Identifiers that works at InterWeb scale
2. A URI can serve as a Name
3. A URI can serve as an Address (URL)
4. An Address (URL) can *serve* as a Name
4. A Name != Address (URL)
5. We locate Data at Addresses (URLs)
6. Names can be used to provide indirection to Addresses (URLs) i.e.,
Names can Resolve to Data.

> Hopefully, if we sort this out, we have one less point of confusion to
> address i.e. that overloaded term: Resource.

President&  CEO
OpenLink Software
Web: http://www.openlinksw.com
Twitter/Identi.ca: kidehen