What is a URL? And What is a URI

From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 12:52:14 -0500
To: "public-lod@w3.org" <public-lod@w3.org>
All,

As the conversation about HTTP responses evolves, I am inclined to
believe that most still believe that:

1. URL is equivalent to a URI
2. URI is a fancier term for URI
3. URI is equivalent to URL.

I think my opinion on this matter is clear, but I am very interested in
the views of anyone that don't agree with the following:

1. URI is an abstraction for Identifiers that work at InterWeb scale
2. A URI can serve as a Name
3. A URI can serve as an Address
4. A Name != Address
5. We locate Data at Addresses
6. Names can be used to provide indirection to Addresses i.e., Names can
Resolve to Data.

Hopefully, if we sort this out, we have one less point of confusion to
address i.e. that overloaded term: Resource.

Kingsley Idehen
President&  CEO
OpenLink Software
Web: http://www.openlinksw.com