Re: Role of URI and HTTP in Linked Data

On 11/11/10 10:00 AM, Nathan wrote:
> Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>> On 11/11/10 9:00 AM, David Booth wrote:
>>> On Thu, 2010-11-11 at 07:23 +0100, Jiří Procházka wrote:
>>> [ . . . ]
>>> Exactly right.  The "URI == 1 thing" notion is myth #1 in "Resource
>>> Identity and Semantic Extensions: Making Sense of Ambiguity":
>>> http://dbooth.org/2010/ambiguity/paper.html#myth1
>>> It is a good *goal*, but it is inherently unachievable.
>>
>> Are you implying that a URI -- an Identifier -- doesn't have a
>> Referent (singular)?
>
> http://kingsley.idehen.name/dataspace/person/kidehen#this does not
> name you, it's not a name for you, or the name for you.
>
> It's a name (identifier for the purpose of referencing) of "#this, as
> described by http://kingsley.idehen.name/dataspace/person/kidehen" and
> how "#this, as described by
> http://kingsley.idehen.name/dataspace/person/kidehen" is ultimately
> interpreted to be, depends entirely on context and application.
>
> > If so, what is the URI identifying?
>
> It's identifying, or referring to, "x, as described by y" and what the
> description identifies is open to interpretation and context (a human?
> an agent? a father? a trusted-man? a holder of X? a bearer of Y?).
Nathan,

In your response, I don't sense (in any way) the plurality that I sense
in David's comments -- for which I sought clarification.

I interpret David's response (maybe inaccurately) as saying:
http://kingsley.idehen.name/dataspace/person/kidehen#this, isA URI that
can have > 1 Referent. None of your expressions infer that.

Kingsley

> Best,
>
> Nathan

President&  CEO