Re: Role of URI and HTTP in Linked Data

Kingsley Idehen wrote:
> On 11/11/10 9:00 AM, David Booth wrote:
>> On Thu, 2010-11-11 at 07:23 +0100, Jiří Procházka wrote:
>> [ . . . ]
>>> I think it is flawed trying to enforce "URI == 1 thing"
>> Exactly right.  The "URI == 1 thing" notion is myth #1 in "Resource
>> Identity and Semantic Extensions: Making Sense of Ambiguity":
>> http://dbooth.org/2010/ambiguity/paper.html#myth1
>> It is a good *goal*, but it is inherently unachievable.
>
> Are you implying that a URI -- an Identifier -- doesn't have a Referent
> (singular)?

http://kingsley.idehen.name/dataspace/person/kidehen#this does not name
you, it's not a name for you, or the name for you.

It's a name (identifier for the purpose of referencing) of "#this, as
described by http://kingsley.idehen.name/dataspace/person/kidehen" and
how "#this, as described by
http://kingsley.idehen.name/dataspace/person/kidehen" is ultimately
interpreted to be, depends entirely on context and application.

 > If so, what is the URI identifying?

It's identifying, or referring to, "x, as described by y" and what the
description identifies is open to interpretation and context (a human?
an agent? a father? a trusted-man? a holder of X? a bearer of Y?).

Best,

Nathan