Re: Model Semantics, Representation Syntax, and Systems Integration

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 2:04 PM, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:
> On 11/10/10 1:16 PM, Alan Ruttenberg wrote:
>
> On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 10:14 AM, Kingsley Idehen
> <kidehen@openlinksw.com>  wrote:
>
> Alan / John: maybe we could use this thread to arrive at obvious common
> ground re. data integration and the diminishing need for a syntax level
> lingua franca.
>
> Kingsley includes me presumably because of a response to an earlier
> message, not copied to this list.
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-lod/2010Nov/0322.html
>
> Correct.
>
> I think there *is* a need for a lingua franca for intercomputer
> communication. But I support the idea that there should be alternative
> syntaxes (as long as they can be clearly translated to the lingua
> franca).
>
> I assume we agree that mapping should be at the conceptual level while
> interchange formats remain negotiable. In a sense, the pursuit of a
> normative interchange format is inherently mercurial, but not so re.
> conceptual schema :-)

I'm not sure what you are referring to as conceptual schema. If we
consider it a combination of logic and ontology, then only the logic
part is not (too) "mercurial". The ontology part certainly is.

Again, I don't agree that interchange formats are "negotiable". They
need to be standardized, and they need to be adopted, lest there be
(very uninteresting, but very real) obstructions to interchange.

So, bottom line, I think the interesting and unsolved areas that we
need to work on are the ontologies,  their development, use, and
adoption, and the discussion of format versus logic distracts from
that. The format issue is mostly a solved problem, IMO. Yes angle
brackets are ugly, but what really matters is that a decision was
made.

-Alan