Status codes / IR vs. NIR -- 303 vs. 200

From: Lars Heuer <heuer@semagia.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 20:18:37 +0100
To: Linked Data community <public-lod@w3.org>
Hi there,

I followed the 303 vs. 200 discussion and I tried to understand it. I
assume it is correct that I cannot use

   <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Lennon>

as subject (or object if that matters) if I want to talk about the
person "John Lennon" and not about the web page since it returns 200
and not 303.

Let's assume Wikipedia would return 303 like DBpedia does. Does it
solve the problem? I think, it does not solve it, since I cannot make
statements about the *page*
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Lennon> (since I always get 303 and
an agent would interpret it as NIR).

My conclusion would be, that neither 303 nor 200 solves the identity
problem, you get always some black spots where an agent cannot decide
if something is meant as IR or NIR. The pragmatic question would be:
Which solution gives less black spots? And I think Ian thinks that 200
gives us less black spots than 303.

Best regards,
Lars
--