Re: Is 303 really necessary - demo

Antoine Zimmermann wrote:
> Le 05/11/2010 18:01, Nathan a écrit :
>> Antoine Zimmermann wrote:

>>> So, you are against hash URIs? Because if you can GET a hashless URI
>>> with 200 OK, then put a hash behind it and you can GET the resulting
>>> URI with a 200 OK too.
>>>
>>> According to httpRange-14, if the HTTP response code for a given URI
>>> is 2xx, then the URI denotes an information resource. Quote:
>>>
>>> """
>>> a) If an "http" resource responds to a GET request with a
>>> 2xx response, then the resource identified by that URI
>>> is an information resource;
>>> """
>>>
>>> GET http://liris.cnrs.fr/~azimmerm/antoine -> 200 OK -> it's a document!
>>>
>>> GET http://liris.cnrs.fr/~azimmerm/antoine#me -> 200 OK -> it's a
>>> document!
>>>
>>> GET http://liris.cnrs.fr/~azimmerm/antoine.rdf -> 200 OK -> it's a
>>> document!
>>>
>>> So your argument is moot since it is going against your own
>>> recommendation.
>>
>> Did you check the HTTP request? #frag isn't included, it's chopped off
>> before sending, those three requests resulted in the following 3 URIs
>> being requested:
>>
>> http://liris.cnrs.fr/~azimmerm/antoine
>> http://liris.cnrs.fr/~azimmerm/antoine
>> http://liris.cnrs.fr/~azimmerm/antoine.rdf
>>
>> no frags, un-mooted.
>
> Ah yes, forgot this small detail :p.
> So obviously, a hash URI cannot resolve to 2xx since it cannot resolve
> at all!  But, in the end, isn't it quite the same principle: I use a
> distinct URI that eventually resolves to the same document?

It's the critical difference in all of this:

   http://liris.cnrs.fr/~azimmerm/antoine
   http://liris.cnrs.fr/~azimmerm/antoine.rdf

both "can be resolved"

   http://liris.cnrs.fr/~azimmerm/antoine#me

cannot be resolved

URI resolution is essentially:

   dereference( <uri>.toAbsolute() );

Which gives us the simplicity and semantic indirection which we need.
Use frags, forget HTTP, know that <uri>#frag is never going to be a
document (unless you explicitly "say" it is).

Best,

Nathan