Re: Is 303 really necessary?

On 11/4/10 12:22 PM, Ian Davis wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 4:17 PM, Kingsley Idehen<kidehen@openlinksw.com>  wrote:
>> On 11/4/10 11:50 AM, Giovanni Tummarello wrote:
>>> its up to clients to really care about the distinction, i personally
>>> know of no useful clients for the web of data that will visibly
>>> misbehave if a person is mistaken for a page.. so your you can certify
>>> to your customer your solution works well with "any" client
>> Gio,
>>
>> Keyword: visibly.
>>
>> Once the Web of Linked Data crystallizes, smart agents will emerge and start
>> roaming etc.. These agents need precision, so ambiguity will cause problems.
>> At this point there will be broader context for these matters. Please don't
>> dismiss this matter, things are going to change quickly, we live in
>> exponential times.
> If the success of these agents is predicated on precision then they
> are doomed to failure.

Success, like beauty, lies in the eyes of the beholder. You and I
clearly expect different things from our agents. That's fine and
natural. It doesn't negate the need for disambiguation.

History is a great teacher, I am sure people thought the same way in the
not too distant past, and today we have:

1. Spam breaking Email (ditto threaded conversations)
2. Data Silos per SaaS application (including all the major social networks)
3. Data Silos per Mobile Device.

By not solving Identity matters at InterWeb scale, we ended up with the
problems above. Let's learn something from history. The architecture of
the Web is there to be used the right way, lets just use it the right
way, it works!

>   The web is a messy place but it's precisely
> that messiness that allows it to scale.
Not disputing that.

>   Anyone building serious web
> data apps is used to dealing with ambiguity all the time and has
> strategies for compensating.

Really, and how's your Mail Inbox doing these days? How precisely is
relevant data finding you, rather than you finding relevant data?

>   Linked Data offers a route to higher
> precision, but in no way is it a panacea or silver bullet.
Nothing man-made is, we are buggy by design. What we can do though, is
fix what we know as we travel down the innovation continuum by learning
from history.
> Ian

President&  CEO
OpenLink Software