Re: Terminology when talking about Linked Data

Wow Nathan, that's an interesting set of reactions - we could go off and
discuss them, but I will give my 3 cents on the original question.

I too have difficulty with customers on the "Open" word.
Open can mean a few things, and some of the posters here seem to interpret
it to mean open standards.
My interpretation has been that the data is open; as it says at the start of
the project page [1]:
"The Open Data Movement aims at making data freely available to everyone ...
The goal of the W3C SWEO Linking Open Data community project is to extend
the Web with a data commons by publishing various open data sets as RDF on
the Web and by setting RDF links between data items from different data
sources."
So it is Linking Open Data, not something like Open Linked Data.
So personally I have used Linked Data quite a lot, sometimes as Linked Data
Technologies.
I take it to mean the same thing as Linking Open Data, but where the data is
not necessarily open - this is important for a customer that wants to use
the (whole) technology stack, but does not want to make their data open.
"Open" can really freak people out
I avoid Semantic Web, as that is often received as primarily doing AI.
More recently I have also badged as Web of Data; don't know if Michael
started it, but you do see it around. Sort of a good capture of the ideas.
I also talk about an application using the Unbounded Web of Data, if it
actually goes out and fetches RDF on finding links.
Finally, if I am pushed to use Semantic Web (ie that is what they come
with), I always say I work in Semantic Web Technologies.
As someone who works on the software, it can be very useful to append
technologies to whatever phrase I use:- otherwise the assumption is that the
work is primarily concerned with building ontologies or transforming
datasets, rather than infrastructure development.

I don't think that either Linked Data (Technologies) or Web of Data
addresses your problems that customers think they already have it in Web
Services; I usually talk about moving from point to point vocabularies
towards widely agreed vocabularies at that stage, and through to unbounded.

Best
Hugh

[1]
http://esw.w3.org/topic/SweoIG/TaskForces/CommunityProjects/LinkingOpenData#
head-277d7f68544ce1a9e252f5c0080b6402cd983a49
[2] http://www.webofdata.info/
[3] http://webofdata.wordpress.com/