Re: Linking HTML pages and data

Sean Bechhofer wrote:

> LODders
>
> A simple (possibly dumb) question. Is there a standard mechanism for
> linking an HTML page to the non-information resource that it describes?
>
> For example, in the page
>
> <http://dbpedia.org/page/Mogwai_(band)>
>
> I see a number of <link> elements in the header that point me to
> alternate representations (rdf, json etc).  There's nothing in the
> header that points me to *<http://dbpedia.org/resource/Mogwai_(band)>*
> (as far as I can tell) though. There is an "about" attribute on the
> body that does so:

> In contrast, if I look at the page for the band on the BBC, i.e.
>
> <http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/d700b3f5-45af-4d02-95ed-57d301bda93e>
>
> there seems to be no reference at all to the non-information resource
>
> <http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/d700b3f5-45af-4d02-95ed-57d301bda93e#artist>
>

> which is the "subject" of the page.
>
> Any conventions in operation here?
Well the practice (ideally) is to use <link/> to expose relationships
between Web resources. If you sorta drop the Resource and Non
Information Resource dichotomy and think about two things (Docs are
things too) then <link/> is your very best friend :-)

Re. the BBC, and many other publishers of HTML or RDF docs, there is
still a tendency to overlook this vital auto-discovery pattern for HTTP
user agents. This problem stems from aRDF legacy issues e.g. having
triples in RDF docs that don't include any relations with their host
container (the doc) or vice versa.

Links:

1. http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-nottingham-http-link-header-06  ---
RFC covering LINK without any notion of Information Resource that
doesn't break anything.

Kingsley

> Thanks,
>
>     Sean